Saturday, January 17, 2009

Why I'm Still Single...I think.


Many people have asked me that question and until recently I didn't have an answer. Well, I did but not one I'm willing to put here. But tonight was a perfect example...

Ever since I was a little girl, I have had nice, sweet, moonie faced boys come up to me and declare their love for me. Nice guys, wonderful guys, that any woman would be proud to be associated with, or dating, or married to. But not me. Nope!!! I was looking for something else. I was looking for the Indiana Jones of my time. The daring adventurer, the exciting, dangerous fellow that would love me and sweep me off my feet while keeping me safe.

Unfortunately that didn't translate well in the late 50's and early 60's. The guys that should have fit that model, that should have been cool and hip and chivalrous were instead pasty faced thugs with greasy DA's and their cigarettes rolled up in the sleeves of their T-shirts.
Years later I came to realize this malady is known as a 'broken picker' or as my wise Mother used to say, "Dear, I'm worried that you are a moron magnet." Having "picked" quite a few men that turned out to be problematic, I have to agree with her or at least admit that my 'Picker' is indeed broken.

Case in point......tonight, as I was finishing my laundry here at 'Bethany Home', a fella opened the door to the really small laundry room on my floor and smacked me rather hard. He was immediately apologetic and with the terribly funny comment, "I am so terribly sorry, I just can't rely on that X-ray vision any more", he completely amused me. Truth be told, I cracked up!!!!
We have talked several times and he is always very funny and interesting but alas! not interested. He just looks average and nice and that's evidently still not what I am looking for. Nothing about him makes my old heart go pity-pat.

Do old hearts go pity-pat like young ones do?
And when does that need for the dangerous guy end? Does it ever? Until then, I will stay single.

5 comments:

Attebetty said...

Your picker never worked!!! I'm sure of it. Examples: Grant, Bob, Jerry, L.S.F.P.....I can go on and on.

Of course, going for the smart, Nerdy ones didn't work out real well either......

Kathy said...

Don't feel bad P-Dot--I had a "broken picker" too and it didn't translate so well in the 70's and 80s either. I think it's fixed now, thank goodness. I never did like those young men who were "nice"--much too boring for me.

Attebetty said...

Hey!!!! Our Friend Pickers Work!!! What else do we need?

Christine said...

LOL @ Carol's comment...it sure did!

P-Dot said...

Ksthy, here is from one "bad boy" lover to another. My picker isn't fixed and I'm too old to care. If you could see my list of favorite actors you would know that I love the bad boys right up until they get fixed...then onto another dysfunctional one.It's my curse, what can I say.
My computer crashed when I was trying to take a picture to add here about your blog. I will try again.